Though New England is the best-known region in the US for fall foliage, many visitors to Texas are pleasantly surprised at the changing leaves they find in the area. You just have to know where to look. That’s why we at Midland Buick GMC Cadillac have created a list of Texas fall road trip ideas to help you find your way to the most scenic views.
First, according to Only in Your State, you should visit Garner State Park in Concan. Perhaps one of the most stunning places in all of Texas—yeah, you heard right—the Garner State Park has old cypresses, oaks, mesquite, and persimmon trees. You can see an array of red, green, yellow, and brown colors in October, and there are over 11 miles of trails to follow. Perfect as a family getaway or for avid hikers, Garner is the place to be this fall.
Also, visit Lost Maples State Natural Area in Vanderpool. The intense foliage is best seen in early November, and you can follow the East Trail for some of the best views. Lost Maples is a great place to bring pets or a picnic for the day as well.
Finally, Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose has some memorable views. The amber grass and red trees create a breathtaking contrast, and there is also hiking, biking, fishing, and camping. The best time to visit is in October or at the beginning of November.
Other places to see include Lake Bob Sandlin State Park and Daingerfield State Park, among others. Plan your road trip today.
Families are often busy in the fall, especially with school and extracurricular activities. That’s why it’s important to make time to get away from your busy lives. In fact, many families create a fall bucket list—a list of things to do before the season comes to an end. From hiking to baking apple pie, there are some things that are best done in the autumn.
According to Creative Family Fun, you should be sure to get outdoors in the fall to experience the changing leaves. One of the best tips for hiking with young children is to keep it simple. Pack supplies, snacks, and water, but also be sure to stay close to home or your car. You don’t need to hike the Appalachian Trail for your kids to have fun—simply get outside and start walking.
Make an apple pie to celebrate the fall season. If you’re lucky, you may be able to find an orchard in the area that will let you pick apples (though apple picking is much harder to find in Texas than in the Northeast). You just need flour, salt, sugar, and unsalted butter for a pie crust, and the filling can be made with apples, a lemon, butter, syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.
There are several other things to do in the fall:
- Make leaf rubbings with wax paper.
- Make your own Halloween costume.
- Make bird feeders.
- Play in the leaves.
- Enjoy cider beside the fire.
These are just some of the fun things we at Midland Buick GMC Cadillac enjoy doing in the fall. Be sure to make your own bucket list with your family and friends to make the most of the season
The latest lineup of new GMC trucks and SUVs is available at Midland Buick GMC Cadillac. Visit the dealership today to explore the 2018 GMC lineup in full. Here’s a sneak peek of what you can expect:
- 2018 GMC Terrain (and Denali): Available with gas or diesel engines and offering Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility
- 2018 GMC Acadia (and Denali): Offers up to 310 horsepower with the 3.6-liter V6 engine and comes with Traction Select
- 2018 GMC Yukon (and Denali): Features an elegant interior with authentic aluminum trim and a cabin quieted by an acoustic-laminated windshield and triple-sealed inlaid doors
- 2018 GMC Yukon XL (and Denali): Can accommodate up to nine passengers and is 20.5 inches longer than the standard Yukon
- 2018 GMC Canyon (and Denali): Fills a void as the only premium midsize pickup, for improved fuel economy without sacrificing luxurious touches
- 2018 Sierra 1500 (and Denali): Features stunning exterior lighting options and state-of-the-art safety features, including Low-Speed Forward Automatic Braking
- 2018 GMC Sierra 2500 (and Denali): Can be configured with a 6.6-liter Duramax diesel engine good for 910 lb-ft of torque
- 2018 GMC Sierra 3500 (and Denali): Tows up to 23,300 pounds
Visit Midland Buick GMC Cadillac today for some test drives.
If you love everything about autumn and are looking for more excuses to go out and do something, then check out these exciting October events in Midland:
- Olivia Newton-Jon will be performing at the Wagner Noël Performing Arts Center on Sunday, October 1st, at 8 p.m.
- The Basin BBQ Blowout will be held in nearby Odessa at the Ector County Coliseum on Thursday, October 5th, from 5 – 8 p.m. This marks the seventh year for the barbeque cook-off event, which will feature live music from The Chet Johnson Band.
- The Lantern Fest in Odessa is scheduled for Sunday, October 15th, from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., at the Rolling 7’s Ranch Event Center. Thousands of locals will come together with flying lanterns to light the sky. While you wait for the big moment, enjoy face painting, s’mores, live music, a stage show, food, and more.
- Swan Lake will be performed at the Wagner Noël Performing Arts Center on Saturday, October 21st, at 7:30 p.m.
On Saturdays, from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., visit the Museum of the Southwest for the Midland Downtown Farmers Market. Autumn is the perfect time to go for apples, pumpkins, and more.
Need a car to take you there? Visit Midland Buick GMC Cadillac for some help.
While many people outside of Texas imagine our state as simply rolling hills of desert and grass, here in the Lone Star State we know better. Our home has a wide and varied landscape that leads to some spectacular sights. Here are some of the best natural attractions in Texas to visit on your next adventure.
Balmorhea State Park
Take a weekend trip to Toyahvale to take a swim in the crystal clear, spring-fed waters. Once you experience what swimming in natural spring water feels like, you won’t ever want to swim in a harsh chlorinated pool again.
Catch a glimpse of the beautiful blue waters found in the Devil’s River. It is located in remote Del Rio, which makes it one of the cleanest rivers in the state—an ideal place to go fishing.
Big Bend National Park
This park is located right along the border with Mexico. Here you can take in the breathtaking sights of a lone mountain range surrounded by desert. You may even catch glimpses of the hundreds of bird species who call this area home.
Here at Midland Buick GMC Cadillac, we love taking in the natural beauty of Texas and are proud to call this state our home. What is your favorite natural attraction in Texas?
Image by amydejong
It might make you sad to hear it, but the summer is quickly drawing to a close. If you have kids, you probably have already started back-to-school shopping. However, before the school year officially starts, try one or more of these Texas day trips.
This is one of the best surviving military sites from the Indians Wars era of the late 1800s. This fort was in operation from 1854 to 1891. Visitors can tour many of the restored buildings.
Fort Worth Stockyards
Twice every day, you can watch live cow herding at the Fort Worth Stockyards. In addition, every Friday and Saturday night there is a fun-filled rodeo.
Palo Duro Canyon
This beautiful red rock canyon is often called the “second Grand Canyon.” The park is open every day from 7am-10pm. There are campsites available for a longer stay.
Dinosaur Valley State Park
Walk in the footsteps of giants with a visit to Dinosaur Valley State Park. Follow the river to find the dinosaur tracks. You can also go horseback riding, camping, find a geocache, go for a swim, or catch some fish.
Here at Midland Buick GMC Cadillac, we hope you have a great end to your summer and an even better start to the school year.
Image by Maciej Kraus